Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

LinkedIn for Literati

I get a lot of requests from LinkedIn members to be added to their networks, and I always grant them, but I really had no idea what LinkedIn did, how it was different from other social media, and why and how I should use it to my advantage as a poet.

But now I know, thanks to an article at Poets & Writers website called "Network: How to Use LinkedIn to Connect with Your Community." Author Thomas Israel Hopkins explains that LinkedIn is more a business tool than the other social media out there, and he gives advice on how to make the best usage of it for writers. Check it out if you are looking for more ways to enhance your career in writing, if you are looking for work, or if you are just curious.

Recently I've been a little discouraged by social media online. I joined sites in order to feel less alone out here in Japan where I am largely by myself, but as I watch how interconnected the world of poets is and how people know and promote one another in ways that are not accessible to me as an actual stranger to everyone, I actually have felt more, rather than less, lonely these days. It may be time for me to take a break and unplug.

But anyway, it's good to know what options I am ignoring.

2 comments:

Carol Berg said...

Hi Jessica,
do you know about Wom-po, the list-serve about women's poetry? It can be interesting...
And I don't know if you like to write with a group of people or anything, but Molly Fisk has an on-line classroom where there are poets of every caliber writing from prompts, if you're interested in that sorta thing (which, if you're not, I completely understand, just thinking community here...). I find these groups to be helpful for me.

Jessica Goodfellow said...

Hi Carol,

I whined a bit much, didn't I? And your insight is absolutely correct-I'm looking at the wrong kind of online interaction for what I need, aren't I? I belong to Wompo but haven't logged on in a couple of years since I used to be overwhelmed by the number of posts, but I think getting used to other social media has probably cured me of that. I will check it out again today (if I can find my password....)--thank you for the reminder.
I did one of Molly Fisk's writing prompt groups once, but you are again right, I should try one again, or maybe something else she offers. I really ought to look more into classes online than to unstructured forums--good point. Thanks for your insight and reminders. You've made me feel better already.
Jessica