Search This Blog

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Cooking the Books: Part III

Earlier this year I participated in the 32 Poems blog Recipes for Poets post, in which a number of poets volunteered quick, simple, and nutritious meals they used in order to spend less time in the kitchen and more time writing. At that time, I shared a fish recipe my family eats regularly.

Since then I have learned a new chicken recipe that takes only 10 minutes of hands-on prep time, and which my family is crazy about. It's perfect for busy writers who want to minimize food prep. I got this from Real Simple magazine, which is not at all the kind of magazine I read, but a friend gave me two issues she was finished with, and since it costs too much to feed my reading habit when you calculate international shipping into the total, I decided to try and read these magazines as a stop-gap measure. I'm glad I did, because I learned this recipe:

Chicken with White Beans and Tomatoes

Hands-on Time: 10 minutes     Total Time: 50 minutes    Serves: 4

2 15.5-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
1 pint grape tomatoes
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 sprigs fresh oregano, plus leaves for garnish
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds total)

1. Heat oven to 425 F. In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, toss the beans and tomatoes with the thyme, oregano, red pepper, 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt,  and 1/4 teaspoon  black pepper.

2. Pat the chicken dry and place on top of the bean mixture, skin-side up. Rub with the remaining tablespoon of oil; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.

3. Roast until the chicken is golden and cooked through, 34 to 45 minutes. Spring with the oregano leaves.


Yum! Enjoy!

No comments: