Search This Blog

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Echo

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I find repetition mesmerizing.

Here are three audio pieces that play with repetition in provocative and stunning ways (for those of us who love repetition--for the rest of you, they may seem tedious).

1. Via by Caroline Bergvall. I love this more than anything I've ever heard, I think. It's worth the effort of scrolling down the Pennsound website about three-quarters of the way till you come to Rockdrill 8. There it's track # 6. Or scroll down a bit farther for a recording of Via with Ciaran Maher, Summer 2000.

Via is "a compiled list of (48) translations into English of Dante's opening lines as arched in the British Library up until May 2000...."


2. Another interesting thing to listen to is Gregory Whitehead's As We Know, a boneyard cantata based on a comment by Donald Rumsfeld. Here it's curated by Australia's ABC radio show Soundproof.


3. Another offering from Soundproof is composer Tim Johnson's Music and Questions. This piece is a meta-listening experience.

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjo

No comments: