Search This Blog

Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Ninth Letter of Hunger Mountain is U!

I'm pleased to have my poem "On Hearing of Your Hearing Loss" in the Spring/Summer 2015 Issue of Ninth Letter. Thanks to editors Jodee Stanley, Michael Madonick, Sarah Fan, and the rest! And congratulations to Corey Van Landingham, G. C. Waldrep, Claire Donato, and others whose work was also selected.

Also, two poems, "The Fold" and "Theories of Flow," are in the Body Issue of Hunger Mountain, which came out this spring. Thanks to editors Miciah Gault and Karen Cygnarowicz! I haven't been able to find much evidence of the issue online, though here it's mentioned at New Pages. Click on that link and you will learn that it has "spectacular (and controversial) cover art," which may be why its web presence is so limited. My contributor's copies were sent (by my request) to my parents' home (I often do this to save journals overseas postage), and my father was upset by the art and wanted to destroy the copies, by my mother wouldn't let him, and apparently she hid them. Anyway, it goes without saying, I have yet to see it (well, I found it online at the website of the designer, Laura Rossi Garcia, if you want to see what the fuss is about, but controversial it is, so consider yourself warned).

So, there's that. And that's all the good news for now. Yay.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that cover disturbing in a wonderful way, I must say.

Who says poetry and art cannot have cultural impact?

Karen J. Weyant said...

I have to admit that when I got my issue to Hunger Mountain that I was taken off guard by the cover and artwork -- but not offended!

Jessica Goodfellow said...

Karen, I can't wait to read this issue, once I get my hands on one of my rescued copies (thanks, Mom). Do you have work in it, or do you subscribe? I too was taken off guard by the cover, and mostly because I knew my dad (a 79-year-old conservative man who is not going to be changing his mind at this late date) had seen it and been unhappy with it. It's definitely not for everyone, though I think the artist has done something thought-provoking here, and isn't that the point of art.

Guy, glad you found it 'disturbing in a wonderful way.' I imagine that's the ideal reaction the artist was seeking.

Karen J. Weyant said...

Jessica,

I merely subscribe. I enjoy the work in Hunger Mountain, and after I got over the initial shock of the cover, I enjoyed the work.

I usually donate my issues to my students after I am done reading them, but I may have to hold on to this issue!

Jessica Goodfellow said...

Karen, you should submit to Hunger Mountain; clearly their aesthetic is in line with yours.....And I concur with perhaps holding on to this issue rather than passing it to students--could get you into some trouble with certain people (as I know from experience!).