Search This Blog

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Journal of the Month

I got my mom a subscription to a  mystery-novel-of-the-month club when she was caring for my grandmother during my grandmother's last year of life. My sister got her an assorted-nuts-of-the-month club subscription. I've tried to sign my husband up for a wine-of-the-month club, only to find out they wouldn't accept overseas subscriptions. That's the extent of my experience with x-of-the-month clubs.

Certainly I'd never heard of the Journal of the Month until now, but now I'm telling you about this service that offers the delivery of a different literary journal once a month. It's a great way to sample literary magazines you've only heard of or read samples from online. It's a good idea especially for people just beginning to publish, who don't have a lot experience with the many good journals out there. A six-month subscription will set you back $48 (and there are shorter and longer subscriptions available, with increasing discounts for longer commitments), which isn't bad if you consider price per journal. Participating magazines include The Believer, A Public Space, Ploughshares, Iowa Review and more.

If you know what you like, this may not be for you, but if you are open to trying new things or are new to publishing, this could be fun.

No comments: