Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Hope

I was listening to the Other People podcast with host Brad Listi and writer Eric Raymond, and I heard them agree that writing was an act of hope, that creation of art is an act of hope. Now, I had thought before that creation is a hopeful act, and that creating art is a hopeful act, but I was caught offguard with the notion that writing is hopeful, even though I certainly think of writing as an art. I don't know why I have never made that particular leap of logic...Writing feels necessary to me, but not necessarily hopeful. Only necessary. (Though I'm not suggesting it feels hopeless either...at least not all the time.)

But let's just disregard how I feel. Why hasn't this occurred to me on a philosophical level?

What about you? Have you made that particular connection, writing and hope?

No comments: